This is a semi-response to Amy’s recent poll. It’s not a complete response because I have nothing to say for a bunch of these categories, and furthermore, I think it’s much more useful to have a few top picks in each category than just one winner. Probably the main reason why modern-day politics has been in such a slump is that too few jurisdictions have any form of preferential voting in place. Voting for just a single candidate (for example, plurality voting) is a terrible, terrible system. But I digress…
Anyway, in the preferentialist spirit, I will have four top-ranked contenders in each of the following eight categories:
- Best Album — Best compilation of recordings in an album or mini-album format.
- Best Single — Best release in the single format. All tracks are taken into consideration.
- Best Recording — Best overall individual track.
- Best Composition — Most musically meritorious track.
- Best Lyrics — Most lyrically laudable track.
- Best Instrumental Performance — Most instrumentally impressive track.
- Best Vocal Performance — Most vocally virtuoso track.
- Best PV — Best music/promotional video.
So without further ado…
- Café Buono! — Buono!
- Kirari to Fuyu — Tsukishima Kirari starring Kusumi Koharu (Morning Musume.)
- 5 (FIVE) — Berryz Koubou
- COVER YOU — Morning Musume.
- Minna no Tamago — Shugo Chara Egg!
- Renai♥Rider — Buono!
- Papancake — Tsukishima Kirari starring Kusumi Koharu (Morning Musume.)
- FOREVER LOVE — °C-ute
- “Love Chick” — Tsukishima Kirari starring Kusumi Koharu (Morning Musume.)
- “Hoshi no Hitsujitachi” — Buono!
- “Sono Bamen de Bibiccha Ikenai jan!” — Morning Musume.
- “Minna no Tamago” — Shugo Chara Egg!
- “Oh! Tomodachi” — Tsukishima Kirari starring Kusumi Koharu (Morning Musume.) [composed and arranged by BOUNCEBACK]
- “Yume wo Hitotsubu ~Berryz Kamen Ending Theme~” — Berryz Koubou [composed by Tsunku; arranged by Takahashi Yuichi]
- “Tan Tan Taan!” — MilkyWay [composed and arranged by Maeyamada Kenichi]
- “Hajimari no Uta” — Shugo Chara Egg! [composed by Izumi Noritaka; arranged by Nakano Sadahiro]
- “Internet Cupid” — Buono! [lyrics by Masanori Ouchi]
- “16sai no Koi Nante” — Abe Natsumi & Yajima Maimi (°C-ute) [lyrics by KAN]
- “Papancake” — Tsukishima Kirari starring Kusumi Koharu (Morning Musume.) [lyrics by 2°C]
- “Last Forever” — Buono! [lyrics by Kawakami Natsuki]
BEST INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCE
- “Janakya Mottainai!” — Buono!
- “Saigo no Natsuyasumi” — v-u-den
- “BE” — Berryz Koubou
- “Kioku no Meiro” — High-King
BEST VOCAL PERFORMANCE
- “Johnny e no Dengen” — Morning Musume.
- “Hanaichimonme” — Matsuura Aya
- “Rottara Rottara” — Buono!
- “ROMANCE” — Morning Musume.
- “Renai♥Rider” — Buono!
- “Dschinghis Khan Tartar Mix (β Ver.)” — Dschinghis Khan × Berryz Koubou
- “Resonant Blue (Another Ver.)” — Morning Musume.
- “Gachinko de Ikou!” — Buono!